Zorin OS Theme on any Distribution

Originally published at: https://bigdaddylinux.com/zorin-os-theme-on-any-distribution/

Introduction Zorin OS provides one of the cleanest and most attractive GNOME experience that I’ve personally used. Unfortunately, due to the release being based on the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release, I am not able to run it on my Dell XPS 15 9570 laptop. It’s not that it won’t run, more a case of not…

It is funny you say this because at that time, my Zorin desktop extensions were added to extensions.gnome.org and I tell people to get Zorin themes and copy them and get extensions that get rid of top panel and add desktop icons to make desktop. So that happened.

Not trying to be rude at you, but you still did a great job trying to do it as if you are doing it from scratch, from ground up. Good job.

Hi Eric,

I have a laptop with an CPU AMD 2.6Ghz Dual-Core, 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD.
Which distro would you advise me to install, POP OS or ZORIN OS?

Thank you in advance, regards,
Fábio Sousa

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum! My opinion is that they are both very good and provide a solid system for someone to get started. One of the biggest differences could be that Zorin gives you options for the desktop layout so you can find a comfortable layout for you. Pop is definitely very GNOME-centric which is not an issue if you are comfortable with it. If possible, I’d suggest that you try each in a virtual machine to see what you think. I’lll throw a shameless plug out there for a video I recently did on how to do this with VirtualBox. Let me know how it goes and if I can help. Have fun!

1 Like