You Can't Escape Big Deb

You Can’t Escape Big Deb

What’s Big Deb, You Might Ask?

Debian is a Debian based Debian that runs on many hardware architectures like x86, ARM, MIPS, undisclosed toaster coils, and probably even a water molecule if it’s chilly outside. Debian leans towards the stable side of the bridge, because it’d be weird if “Big Deb” was on the side of the bridge with less support. This is just physics, come on. What’s great is that Debian is pretty flexible, too! A dancer of sorts, capable of being a powerhouse of productivity or a girth of gaming joy. I can always count on Big Deb to be there for me when I need it most. Thanks, bud!

6 Likes

I think I used to know someone called Big Deb

3 Likes

I just LOVE this!

I installed Debian 10 with Gnome the day it came out (on my laptop, not my toaster) and really love it! Is this the string for the Big Deb fan club?

1 Like

I absolutely think so! I think I’ll be sharing all my Debian adventures here :smiley: Please feel free to do the same! I’m still somewhat new to Debian so I’d love to see and try more!

1 Like

I’ve been job hunting so I have focused on productivity rather than looks so far. I decided quite a while back, maybe back when Debian 9 got boring, that I would revisit and “settle down” at the major update. I am very new to Gnome and rather enjoying it in its most “vanilla” form. I left gnome-tweaks installed but turned the toggle to “off” to make Debian exactly that way, as lean and light as possible.

Of course, there is a lot of work to do to make this look “fun” at all. I think I still have, as someone called it, that “sterile” or “hospital” feeling.

1 Like

I heard from someone, maybe that DistroTube guy, that it might be a good idea to have a second DE installed (usually a window manager works best) to use just in case the main DE fails for some reason or other. I took that advice to heart and always install something, even if it’s barely configured for months, it’s there for me to use if something goes wrong. I’ve elected the awesomewm for my Debian 10 install. Here’s a preliminary and unconfigured look…

Again, there is that “hospitalized” feeling…

2 Likes

I’ve gone ahead and replaced a bunch of my apps with Flatpaks recently (thanks @condoulo! ), originally intending to get a native Matrix client installed (Riot isn’t updated for Debian 10 yet.), but I decided after installing Flatpak, I wanted to use as many Flatpaks as I could for my daily driver, so I replaced them! I’ve got everything from Audacity to GIMP to Discord and Telegram installed as Flatpaks. Spotify as well, and they all work wonderfully. I wasn’t lacking anything with the normal repos, but there were some programs that are just packaged as Flatpaks and since a lot of official GNOME apps are Flatpaks anyway now, it just makes sense for me to lean in that direction!

1 Like

All I mentioned was one Flatpak, you went ahead and installed over 60, and now you’ve got me on a Flatpak all the things kick.

2 Likes

I decided that today I would do a little basic configuration of awesomewm. The Debian Wiki https://wiki.debian.org/Awesome has some instructions how to do this, so I hacked my way thru it. Featured first is the “zenburn” theme followed by the much lighter “sky” theme.

This is just 2 of the 5 (including the default) themes that are already configured. I would imagine these themes are really just meant to be examples provided by the developers, but it was a fun hour or so playing around with them.

1 Like

This looks really great @Schyken. I like the icon set you’ve chosen. The bright colors and crispy lines look amazing with that wallpaper!

1 Like

My review of Buster will be recorded tomorrow for Distrohoppers Digest which will be out later in the week

2 Likes