Xubuntu 20.04 LTS

Sharing thoughts, experiences and offer of help and advice on Xubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Xubuntu 20.04 LTS was released on 23 April 2020. The LTS release is supported until April 2023 and is the recommended version for all environments that require stability.

It is available in both minimal and full installations.

Minimal install does not include any web browser, office suite, graphics, or other packages and only installs a lite version with just a terminal, settings and accessories. This version allows for greater flexibility in software choice and is aimed at the light Linux user who only requires a few applications without being bloated.

Full install includes Firefox, LibreOffice, GIMP, and more.

Download the latest release:
https://xubuntu.org/download/

1 Like

For the minimal users amongst us, here are some useful add-ons that you may like:

• xfce4-goodies
  • xfce4-appmenu-plugin
  • xubuntu-community-wallpapers
  • flatpak

To install Flatpak, run these commands in a terminal:

sudo apt install flatpak
sudo apt install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Then reboot.

1 Like

That’s odd. You forgot to link to your video. Here, let me get that for you. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @EricAdams!

1 Like

I posted this on the BDL Discord, but as it does not seem like very many BDL members hang out there, here’s a link for setting up full-disk encryption (including /boot!) It also works if you are sharing the drive with other data.

I also have had some difficulties with Snaps. They don’t seem to respect cursor theming or inverted scrolling. I suspect that Xfce is at fault, but all the same, is this a known bug? I may install Flatpak and see if I experience the same issues. It’s primarily what I use on Tumbleweed anyway.

1 Like

quidsup did a video on xubuntu and he mentioned the cursor issue. He covered the other ubuntu flavors and I do not recall if the other ubuntus had the cursor issue. His videos are short, so it shouldn’t take too long to watch one.

On BDLL this week, we talked about Xubuntu 20.04 and were joined by none other than Sean Davis!