Xfce DE

So for anyone who has known me in the Linux community for more than a few days will have probably released I an a confirmed Mate fan and have been since it’s inception following the fork from Gnome 2. I’ve dabbled with other DE’s over the years but always come back to Mate.
Well I installed Endeavor on this Toshiba Z30 for my monthly Distrohoppers Digest Challenge/Review and I’m finding I quite like Xfce, I have installed Mate but am finding it a little clunky in Endeavor compared with my usual Mint install. I’m not one for fiddling I like the Mint Mate base and I don’t change or fiddle with anything on the DE, I like it as it is in Mint.

Previously Xfce was a little too bare, but the way the developers have set it up in Endeavor is slick enough for me to find it very usable, It will be interesting to see how I find the upcoming Xfce 4.14 release and how it appears in Endeavor, however for the time being at least until this months review is done and dusted Xfce will remain my DE work environment.

4 Likes

I look forward to seeing what 4.14 will bring to the table.

You can make Xfce look really nice. It disappoints me to see so many bland default distro installs.

1 Like

I accidentally installed XFCE4 on Ubuntu Mate set up the other day when you and I (franksmcb) was discussing terminals. sudo apt-get install xfce4 instead of xfce4-terminal… Any way I booted into it and thought…wow…this is really bare. Might play with it more but not sure.

2 Likes

stonecold-austin

I also love Mate, the default Ubuntu MATE. I change the background and that is it. I also tried installing it on Endeavour but quickly uninstalled when I discovered what a vanilla Mate install is like. I decided that it was not worth my effort to do the work to make it basically look like Ubuntu MATE. So I decided to give Endeavour’s XFCE a second try since XFCE my son’s favorite thanks mostly to MX. I really enjoyed XFCE for the first time. I find no desire to change anything in Endeavour. They have put together a beautiful and functional XFCE that just works with a clean and fresh look.
I’m really amazed when I find those distros that set up a desktop environment to the point that I have only the desire to change the background after a while. Perhaps I’m not a Mate only guy, but instead there are just some distros that put just the right polish on the DE of their choice that works for me out of the box.

1 Like

I like default Mate as well. I would be interested in hear what one does to make Mate look like Mint.

I found this:

1 Like

Xfce is my favorite DE and no matter which distro I try, I always prefer using Xfce, because it just works for me und it’s super customisable, light and fast. Up to this point, I never had crashes or hiccups on Xfce. It’s just so reliable.
I’m already super excited about 4.14 and consider to switch my spare laptop to something rolling just so I can already get a glimpse on it, as soon as it’s out. :grin:

2 Likes

Of the MATE DEs I’ve tried I think I liked the Mint one best (sorry Wimpey) but I’m a confirmed Xfce fanboy. Even on the new Debian 10, where you get (or select) 1 empty panel I can very rapidly get the panel configured the way I ike (and yes, it’s the same on all machines and distros so navigations it automatic).

On EndeavourOS the panel was 90% there anyway so a couple of additions and swap the order of a couple of things and boom, I was done.

I do try and keep things simple, I can believe that MATE has all sorts of features and customisation I don’t know about, but I don’t miss what I’ve never had and never think “if only it did…”

A lot of people poo-poo Xfce, but that’s fine, it does what I need and I know how it works.

Xfce 4.14 - meh! when it arrives fine, I’m sure it will be good but I’m not holding my breath for it, I don’t need to.

1 Like

Xfce is my favorite desktop.
It is no longer the leanest, but it is probably still the most stable and also the snappiest. Also, I am old, and I like the Windows 2000 / XP “mix” in feel from it. It is also right up there in ability to customize it.
My only real beef with it is that Thunar doesn’t have fixed distance between icons. It is the only file manager I know that moves the icons to adjust to the name length instead of truncing the name. So I am sometimes using Nemo in Xfce instead of Thunar.

2 Likes

This. You can turn Xfce into whatever you want, which is a big plus.

I did that aswell for some time, but since the release of Xubuntu 18.04 I don’t bother anymore and just use Thunar. And, low and behold, I got use to it and now it’s working just fine fore me.

2 Likes

If you like the default Mint look they do a very nice job of applying it consistently across their CInnamon, MATE and XFCE releases. The DEs are still using their default application sets of course but they all have the same look and feel as well as the Mint tools.

1 Like

I just watched a YouTube from Ghost 67 where he’d re-themed his MX with Midnight-Blue and icons Korla from the https://www.xfce-look.org/ and thought it pretty. I normally don’t mess too much with themes and icons but decide I wanted Midnight-Blue.

I didn’t change my MX (I’m happy with the MX-18 defaults) but decided to have a go at the EndeavourOS on my “play” Thinkpad X230. I also picked up a suitably dark blue wallpaper as well.

2 Likes

I decided to give Ubuntu Studio Disco Dingo a look so I booted up a live USB stick today. They got XFCE looking very nice. I had to check to make sure it was really XFCE. It’s not set up exactly the way I would want it but it’s pretty darn close.

Endeavour OS is running Xfce 4.14 extremely well.

I am usually a Mate person, I like the Gnome 2 default look. Endeavour really did a great job with the desktop and I am giving it a good go.

1 Like

I can see why other people like other DEs, they are entitled to be wrong. Me? I’m a simple man, with simple needs and even basic Xfce does for me, a replacement wallpaper is usually about as far as I go, once I have my panel setup with the things I use most.

2 Likes

This is the magic of XFCE. Once you have it set up the way you want it just gets out of your way.

1 Like

Xfce Release manager posts late update on 4.14 and the future.

Tour of Xfce 4.14 Featues