What mistakes have you made when you first started Linux

I figure this topic might be of use to the newer linux users. The mistakes I’ve made when first starting out are:

1. Debuging issues by becoming root while I was very tired. I probably mistyped some commands which caused my Ubuntu 16.04 install to get a kernel panic.

2. I used to reinstall the OS or hop to another distro instead of debugging an issue due to frustration. Now I take a step back and give it some time if I feel myself getting frustrated and come at it later with a level head.

3. I used to run 3rd party package managers like pip as root. Not only can it mess up system wide files, but it is also a security risk. Most of these 3rd party package managers have options that let you install software only to your account (pip install --user pwayl)

1 Like

+1 for 1.

• Changing shells, then uninstalling the shell.
  • Since I’m frustrated let me dd this new ISO onto the hard drive instead of the usb drive.
  • Not researching hardware prior to installing and having to run between computers to get the right drivers. (wireless card)
1 Like

This was me. I would try something and if it didn’t “just work” I would move on. It took me a little while to figure how to reconfigure things but since then I will usually try to fix things. I do have my limit though. If it’s just completely broken then it’s probably not worth the effort.

1 Like

Mistake #1 - trying to download 47 floppy disks worth of Yggdrasil Linux…

Mistake #2 - buying that book about Linux that had the 2CD set of Slackware Linux inside the back cover

Mistake #3 - expecting either of the above to install and run on a 386SX laptop with a 640 x 480 display a 25MHz processor speed, and 640MB RAM with a 60 MB HDD

But that was all back in 1996…

I don’t suppose using RPM based distros counts any more - I’m hopin RPM Hell is a thing of the past.

Hmmm, the real biggy was listening to people who told me they knew EVERYTHING about Linux and that EVERYTHING I did was wrong, because the book/magazine was wrong and they knew better. Choose who you listen to carefully, and don’t rely on 1 person/expert/guru alone.

oh, and don’t eat biscuits (cookies) at the keyboard, crumbs make horrible crunching and jams keys and ruins your typing. Also tea is bad for keyborads, but Coke/Pepsi is worse.

1 Like

Burning the CD

1 Like

I first used Linux 2006 for a year and then not until 2018 so I don’t recall any huge mistakes from back then.

Honesty I can only remember one real mistake that’s actually linux related: first time I installed Arch 2018 I mounted boot wrong and had to start over. At 2 am.

1 Like

Oh yeah, do NOT start installing any new distro after 10pm, the number of times I’ve either finally got it to work or given up at 2, 3 or 4 am are too many to remember. The later I start, the worse it gets… immediately after BDLL (3am UK time usually) is especially a bad to download and install the current distro challenge.

2 Likes

I think the Question is wrong for me, it should just be what mistakes have you made, I still make them. last week when installing Endeavor I mistakenly installed to the 128Gb SD card in the Laptop and wiped all the Data that was on the card, Dhoooo. Good job I had a back up. I’ve lost count at the mistakes I’ve made over the years, I think I would say to a new user to ensure that before they install to metal that the only drive connected is the target drive or Drive’s if using a separate home drive, before you commence the install. Just disconnect ALL Data only drives.

1 Like

@TonyHughes Shhhh, was glossing over all the things I still do wrong, over and over again…

2 Likes

During one of my earliest Linux installations I set a complicated root password and didn’t write it down. The next day I couldn’t remember what it was so I had to start over.

4 Likes

yes I’ve done that in the past too :rofl:

1 Like

Who hasn’t made the forget password error, or mis-type the password setup twice (show password to copy and paste is dangerous)

1 Like

Let me think.

1. Downloading windows drivers thinking they would work
  2. Setting up a multi boot system and forgetting which partition was free, and overwriting my data drive full of important stuff
  3. Running as root in a gui because it was easier
  4. Spending 3 days attempting a gentoo install :slight_smile:

All many years ago but I make. I stakes every week because I’m always trying things that I have no real knowledge about - and mistakes are how I learn

1 Like

As my good friend Les Pounder is always telling people F.A.I.L stands for Further Attempt in Learning. :joy::joy:

1 Like

These, over and over. My guess is these are the most common ones.

2 Likes