What do you host at home?

Many of us in this community have something we host on our own, even if it is on a small scale for just you and your immediate family/friends. Perhaps you have a home storage NAS or maybe you have Nextcloud instance. Some options are commercially available like a Synology to host things.
Here are some items to ponder:

• If you have something you host, what is it (narrowing it down to your top 2-3)?
  • Why did you chose that product/tool?
  • What do you like?
  • Is there any option you wish it had?

It would be nice to discuss what everyone does so drop your list here or bring it to a BDLL.

4 Likes

I have had a Synology Diskstation DS412+ with 4 x 2 TB WD Red drives. I’ve had this setup running continuously for 6 years with no issues. It was a little pricey to set up because that amount of storage at the time wasn’t cheap.

It runs just about anything you can imagine. It isn’t very powerful but very capable. I have run Plex, docker, OpenVPN, file and media sharing and many others. It has always been a local storage point that then syncs to a cloud account. Maybe one of the best tech purchases I’ve ever made.

I also have a Raspberry Pi 2B running a Pi Hole server which is blocking a lot of unwanted traffic.

I also have a bunch of DigitalOcean Droplets and use Vultr as well. Mostly these are web and Discourse servers.

2 Likes

I have an old desktop in my house hosting:

• Pi-Hole
  • Nextcloud
  • Minetest

All using the same IP. It’s a pain to get nextcloud and Pihole working together, especially since I am always having that server do more and more (working on having it seed a torrent right now), and I wish I could mange Pihole more from CLI, but it does what I need: blocking most ads on my network.

NextCloud has been great for backing up important personal stuff like homework and syllabi, but I also use it to back up everything Drauger OS. It has 1 TB of storage, I should put it to use somehow! Lol

As for Minetest, it’s about the only game I can play and not get mad at it at some point. So I made a publicly available instance of it so I can play the same game across all my devices, and play with others. If you wanna hop on too, you can find it at minetest.draugeros.org, port 3000. You need Minetest 5.0+ to get on.

2 Likes

Absolutely nothing…

2 Likes

Hope everyone is doing well.
Ubuntu server with nextcloud (2 users), plex and piwigo for sharing photos with family and friends.

Freenas as backup #1 and pi with raid storage as backup #2

1 Like

I used to host a web server on a rpi for the applications that develop. But i have moved it to Digital Ocean. I have a 1 TB Iomega NAS drive.

2 Likes

I host a bunch of services for myself and family. some of those i made myself.

First of all basis of everything for me is Proxmox Virtual Environment debian based OS for hosting virtual machines on there you can find most of services i host directly or in one of VMs.

first of all i use the machine as a NAS server using SMB protocol using samba which i selected for its compatibility with both linux and windows.
i also host a NextCloud instance which we use as a cloud storage replacement. Nextcloud is great, i mainly chose it because it came highly recommended. and it also has access to the NAS via SMB protocol.
i also host for myself repositories for different distributions for those packages that i cannot find in official repos and i can package myself. which is also automated. i also host a gitlab instance in which i my repositories concerning packages and backups of all my programming projects. i also use its CICD features to build those packages. which i chose because of its opensource nature easy docker image to install self hosted server and its CICD features.
Most important services i host is my personal VPN which i use to access my network. I use Pritunl which is openvpn based frontend witch works great for me.

there are many more services that i use but this are services that i consider realy important on my network.

2 Likes

Nice discussion on tips for self hosting.

Where Do I Start?

2 Likes

Do you run mostly VMs or containers in ProxMox?

I have a rasberrypi at home that runs pihole and openvpn. I give the VPN certificate to my smart phone so that pihole can reduce the amount of tracking that goes on. Any DNS request that the pihole allows then gets sent through the Tor network for an extra boost in privacy. The drop in speed going through a VPN and Tor is barely noticeable

1 Like

We have been running a Freebox server at home for the last year. It runs the following services:

• Syncthing
  • Quassel Core
  • OpenVPN
  • Cockpit (Admin interface)
  • Gitea (Used by my programming son for his private repos, Github for his public repos)
  • Asciidoc Documentation Viewer (written by my programmer son, which is super cool)

We have a RPi 3 running a specialized CRM for my work, but that hasn’t seen a lot of usage yet.

Running the Freedombox with Syncthing met a very specific need. About two years ago, we were have internet connection issues, and I noticed that when I lost internet at work, I lost the ability to work on a number of projects because they were in the cloud in Google Drive files. I also noticed that when my kids lost internet connection at school their Chromebooks were paperweights for the most part. Supposedly, there is offline functionality for Google Drive, but I never got that to work consistently so that to be useful during an outage. By moving my office documents out of Google Drive and Google file formats into LibreOffice formats and synced with Syncthing, I have eliminated these issues. Also Syncthing works well with all of my computers (3 Linux, and one Windows 10) computer, where as support for Google Drive was not always there for some distros or desktop environments that I would try. So now I have my important data backed up in two different physical locations on 4 different computers, with Freedombox also doing incremental backups of the data to an exterior drive. If internet is down, I can always grab the most recently updated file from the computer it is on at home or work, put it on a USB drive, and keep working on the LibreOffice file wherever I am.

I want to love Quassel, because I love IRC, but I have struggled to find an IRC channel that is as much fun to hangout in as I used to find back in 2006 time frame. Without a fun and active IRC channel Quassel has been used very little.

Freedombox has been amazing, but also limiting. In order to have a web app or server app on Freedombox it has to be packaged as a Debian package, and then approved by the Freedombox team. My son has figured out how to add a few things manually, but it is a bit of pain. He added Gitea manually.

He also just added manually this week an Asciidoc Documentation Viewer web app that he wrote in Python at the beginning of this week. He and I both enjoy the Asciidoc markup language for our documentation and notes. Trying to find a simple to set up and run Asciidoc file viewer has not been easy, so he wrote his own. I’m excited by this and looking forward to using it as our personal home wiki. We simply copy the Asciidoc files into a specified directory, and his web app automatically sees it, can search its contents and file name, and display it in nicely formatted static HTML pages.

To open up more freedom to experiment with different web apps and gain more control than we have with Freedombox, we have started setting up a new home server built on Fedora Server using Cockpit and Container technology. However, we have discovered that we have jumped into the deep end of the pool. Right now we need to learn a lot more about how SELinux works with Podman and Container technology.

1 Like

well i mostly do VMs havent realy gone into containers but i do run docker a lot in a VM

2 Likes

There are many things I could theoretically host at home, but because of the cost involved and because I actually don’t own the house (or network!) I live in, I don’t have much of a homelab. I use Syncthing to keep my music, ebook, and audiobook collections synchronized between my Android phone, the Tumbleweed install on my laptop, and whatever “guest” distro I happen to be running. I back up my dotfiles to GitLab and my laptop to an external hard drive, and have a Raspberry Pi I use as a central server for my pass database. I’ve been considering purchasing space at rsync.net so that I can have offsite borg backups.

1 Like