What do you do after installing Ubuntu 20.04

I liked the discussion in the last show about what people do after installing Ubuntu, and I’d like to add to it with the four things I do after installing Ubuntu:

1. Turn on computer
  2. Enable single click
  3. ???
  4. Profit

Haha, sorry I couldn’t help myself. Here are the actual things I do after installing Ubuntu:

1. Install gnome-tweaks and gnome-chrome-shell and enable user themes.
  2. Change GTK and gnome shell theme to yaru dark.
  3. Install qt5ct and make qt apps look good with a dark theme.
  4. Remove the unity panel and desktop icons.
  5. Chang the keybindings of Super+1, Super+2, ect with dconf editor (Thank you @EricAdams for showing me how to do this, the defaults were driving me mad!)
  6. Install caffine and pop shell extensions (pop shell is system76’s tiling window extension, its very nice for a keyboard junkie like myself, but still beta software).
  7. Install other software I need with apt/snap
  8. Set up OpenVPN with systemd to start on boot.
  9. Set up protonmail to work with neomutt email client
  10. Compile and install other software not available with apt/snap (z, youtube-viewer, greenclip, fff, vim-anywhere, zsh plugins, chatty, twitch-curses)

I normally have to mess with theming with other distros, which is very time consuming, but with Ubuntu, all I have to do is switch to yaru dark. It’s very pretty overall.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that helped. Hopefully they will add more options to the settings panel at some point.

But what do you both change the key bindings to??

Skip installing Ubuntu 20.04 and wait for release of Fedora 32 to upgrade to that on 4/28/2020. :slight_smile:

Actually, I will probably upgrade in a week the two computers at work that I have running Ubuntu Mate, and not change a thing because it will be an in place upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04. The “Familiar” layout introduced in Ubuntu Mate as the default works great for me. The only thing I have changed on my Ubuntu Mate installs at work have been wallpapers just to add some variety of things to look at. I’ve been very happy with the sane defaults that have been shipping in Ubuntu Mate for the last few releases.

My Fedora box is my home rig.

1 Like

Just curious what it is that you value in running Fedora? It seems like a great distro but I’ve had some issues with general day to day desktop use. Needing to install so many third party repos to get any non-libre software has been a bit of a hassle. Otherwise, I am usually impressed by what Fedora puts out, especially the quality of all the spins. Thanks!

@EricAdams a simple bash script installs the RPM fusion repos after install which are the only extra repos that I have needed when running Fedora. This is something that only needs to be done once on a box if you don’t distro hop. When I upgraded from F30 to F31, the RPM fusion repos were ready to go, so the upgrade just updated everything from the correct repos. The RPM fusion repos seem more like the standard Ubuntu non-free enabled repos than being like a third party PPA which are disconnected during upgrades to avoid problems with the upgrades.

Actually, the Fedora community keeps Fedora on my home box. They offer clear paths for volunteering your skills and time back to Fedora. Admittedly, I have contributed so little at this point, because my vocation often takes my work hours and my volunteer hours, but I know how I can contribute with my skill set. The community drew me into Fedora in 2007. Then I took about a 7 year break from Linux in 2010, and the Fedora community drew me back about a year ago when I installed F30.

Honestly, if I had found a clear path to use my skill set to give back to Ubuntu Mate, I probably would just install Ubuntu Mate on everything and be done. It is a solid distro, they have a great community forum with nice and helpful people that have helped me with a few issues, and its fun to run because I see the developers and community members in BDLL and other places. They developed this page which gives a clear path to contributing https://ubuntu-mate.org/get-involved/, but they don’t really need the kind of help that I would like to offer, because they have that area covered very well, but Fedora has a clear need for the help I would like to give.

1 Like

I have Super+1 go to the first workspace, Super+2 go to the second workspace, and so on to Super+4. This is how most tiling window managers do it, and it is ingrained in my muscle memory.

1 Like

This is a great list of things to do. Thank you for sharing Slacker…love the first part! ROFL

I have Ubuntu in a VM (in a Mageia host) for building packages for a friend who run Ubuntu.
The first thing I did after installing Ubuntu 20.04 is to uninstall «command-not-found».
I don’t care about which package might contain a command that does not exist. Usually it is a typo, and the oh so «helpful» message about 5 packages that have the command is anoying.

Next I uninstall each and every snap package that is installed by default, and then I remove the snap itself.

I utterly refuse to deal with snap packages, because the only snap store one can use is proprietary.

Eric: The fact that Fedora does not have any proprietary packages is exactly why many use it. The value of knowing that you run only Free Software is a value in it’s own right.

Those who insist in Free Software prefer Freedome over convenience.
If I can’t do somethiing without using proprietary software, then I am not doing that.