I liked the discussion in the last show about what people do after installing Ubuntu, and I’d like to add to it with the four things I do after installing Ubuntu:
- Turn on computer
- Enable single click
Haha, sorry I couldn’t help myself. Here are the actual things I do after installing Ubuntu:
- Install gnome-tweaks and gnome-chrome-shell and enable user themes.
- Change GTK and gnome shell theme to yaru dark.
- Install qt5ct and make qt apps look good with a dark theme.
- Remove the unity panel and desktop icons.
- Chang the keybindings of Super+1, Super+2, ect with dconf editor (Thank you @EricAdams for showing me how to do this, the defaults were driving me mad!)
- Install caffine and pop shell extensions (pop shell is system76’s tiling window extension, its very nice for a keyboard junkie like myself, but still beta software).
- Install other software I need with apt/snap
- Set up OpenVPN with systemd to start on boot.
- Set up protonmail to work with neomutt email client
- Compile and install other software not available with apt/snap (z, youtube-viewer, greenclip, fff, vim-anywhere, zsh plugins, chatty, twitch-curses)
I normally have to mess with theming with other distros, which is very time consuming, but with Ubuntu, all I have to do is switch to yaru dark. It’s very pretty overall.