Virtualisation

Hello guys!

I juat want to know how people use virtualisation and for what.

I use it as a part of my use whatever os system, basicly after i started using linux i foubd out that if i am on linux i figured out its hard to use same local sql dbs and such for testing which is quite important for me since i am a lot on the move and i go to it school so i needed to either be all the time in windows se we were learning mssql server or figure something out, so i started with moving all files to vms so whether i am on windows or linux i have same test servers same build agents and such. And before someone says you could use cloud i dont have wifi in my school so if i need internet i use my phones hotspot but i try to limit usage of that

As i said i have so much more then just sql test dbs, i host all my internal(only i use stuff) on those like build agents even my personal repos are on there,

On other hand on my old system i use it as a way to host a second set of build agents for linux because that is strictly windows machine since it is family system.

Just curious if you have tried docker. You can host any number of containers, create connections between them, reuse them and so on. Not sure if you have to use MSSQL or can use any database. Outside of that, maybe a more traditional virtual server via KVM or VirtualBox would work. My last thought is if you need multiple build systems something like Fedora Silverblue which lets you run multiple versions of packages.

Main reason was so i could awitch between windows and linux on the fly and that it would work even with limited access to internet like i have at school
Docker was another option but sadl i have win10 home which cannot run docker since it relies on hyperv which isnt available on home version

I currently use virtal box for all that on my laptop

True but you could run docker in a VM on Windows. It’s an extra layer but you would be able to export the containers which would give you portability. Maybe not the best option…just thinking out loud so to speak.

VMs work for now since i do t always need all of them its ok

Nothing crazy for me. Just testing and reviewing distros. An easy way to distrohop.

If I find something particularly interesting, or I want to test Optimus support, then I will install it on hardware.

If I just want to quickly boot up, install and test a distro, I will create a VHD in a RAM drive using tempfs and install it there. If you think SSD is fast, try installing the VM in your RAM. :sunglasses:

Virtualbox for testing, it’s faster to spin it up than another machine. And with 24GB RAM (used to be 32, RIP one 8GB stick), it’s easy.

I’m going with Dorian here. I only use it for testing distros. I never found another use case for me

1 Like

For personal testing I agree. Just throwing out there that while testing in a VM is helpful, if you plan on providing feedback and bug reports to a project, testing on bare metal (should we start saying silicon at this point with SSDs?) seems to uncover many more issues. Like Dorian, I have a laptop with hybrid graphics and distros that run great in a VM often do not work well on my hardware.

1 Like

You can also use it as a sandbox to test things, or even do banking in if you like wearing tinfoil hats. Snapshots are quick and handy to be able to do whatever you want and quickly rewind back to the snapshot erasing all traces of what you did. Also a great environment to check your Swiss and Cayman Island bank accounts and then revert back to undo traces of activity. You know what I’m taking about Rocco… :smile: