Video edting software

I’ve spent part of my day fighting with the various video editors available on Linux and am having varying luck. Everyone seems to like Kdenlive and, for whatever reason, it just doesn’t seem to work well for me. The interface is clunky and it crashed at least 5 times doing simple edits. This is the latest version 19.04.3.

Another editor I have used quite a lot lately is Olive. It’s an early release but seems to be very stable although doesn’t have many features beyond simple editing. I realized this when I wanted to add a filter and there really aren’t many. Maybe it will get better over time.

The last one I tried and have had good luck with is Shotcut. The UI is alright and it’s very capable, at least for what I wanted to do. It didn’t crash or have major issues however editing in the timeline is a little choppy with the audio waveform enabled.

So I guess that leaves me thinking there is no one perfect option. I guess if I took the time to learn Kdenlive and could get it to be stable that might be the best option but at this point Shotcut seems to be what works best for my needs.

I’d love to know what you guys are using and how I could maybe improve my experience.

Kdenlive = Capable and best option right now but crashy
Olive = A very nice start but lacking transitions and things needed for videos
Shotcut = Basic and fine but also crashy
Lightworks = Learning curve to learn - Still looking to learn it
Davinci Resolve = Very promising but not had time to sit down and learn it

1 Like

I believe Ryan paid for Lightworks. I’d consider it if I had the extra income. Probably just get the lifetime license and be done with it. It’s a little unorthodox but it does work very well.

Personaly i use davinci resolve and it has workee great for me idk about filters dont use those too much

1 Like

I’ve heard people don’t use current kdenlive, they use older 18.04 or something versions as it’s much more stable.

1 Like

Davinci Resolve is certainly the answer. It’s an excellent editor. If you use the free version for Linux you won’t have access to H264/HEVC for licensing reasons, but I believe the paid version covers that.

It comes with everything you need for editing, too. There’s media management, editing, a nodal effects editor (complex but powerful), an audio editor, and rendering/publishing all in one product. It’s quite a nice suite of tools.

4K scaling support needs some work, though. It is way more GPU heavy than other editors, so make sure to have a decent GPU.

1 Like

Another vote for Davinci Resolve. It’s great.

However, if you can’t get it or don’t want to use it, another option for Kdenlive is to use their AppImage. Not ideal, but it has worked for me in the past when there were several crashy versions…

1 Like

The amount of editors available is actually quite high.

Kdenlive- most widely used by most end users.
Openshot- powerful if you dig into it but simple interface has a tendency to crash though.
Flowblade- definitely a different editor UI is somewhat a mix of kdenlive and shortcut.
Lives- meant more for Video DJing but is a capable editor of you wrap your head around it’s workflow
Pitivi- pretty simple and straightforward editor not a lot of features.
Cinelerra- Great if you have a multi monitor setup
Lightworks good but learning curve and the free version is limited.
Davinci Resolve- the go too if you are a premiere pro user.

I wasn’t able to get Davinci running on Ubuntu so I might try Fedora since they support CentOS (seems logical?). In the meantime, Shotcut does almost everything I need, has a usable UI, good filters,hardware rendering and is being updated regularly. There are some rough edges but hopefully it continues to improve.

My needs were (and still are) in this field very simple and Openshot has worked for me.

My usual need was to take the raw output of my camera from a day out at one of the Hampton Court Palace or Kew Palace historic cooking events and render it down from 4 or 5GB to something I could upload to YouTube (say 400 - 600MB).

I haven’t done that for a few years now, just short clips process before posting off to friends and family by shared cloud storage - usually Google Drive.

I used it last week to string a few clips, nothing fancy in the way of titles, headers, transitions etc. but it worked.