Using Regular Expressions - Introduction and Simple Use Case

Regular expressions are a way to define an advanced search pattern that can be very useful for manipulating text, among other things. They are used quite a bit in programming languages but in this case, I am showing how I use them in a text editor to manipulate text copied from a website into a clean list format. This isn’t so much a tutorial as it is a real world example of how you can use regular expressions to speed up your work. And I’ll admit - they are just fun to use!

4 Likes

This was a very nice gentle introduction to regular expressions, thanks for making it. I wish I had it when I first started learning them a year ago. Regular expressions have saved me hundreds of hours of work and I think they are worth the hassle of learning for anyone who wants to take their productivity to the next level.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I was hoping to show enough to make it interesting without it seeming overly complicated. So many of the resources I find for regex are very complicated and I assume most people would be intimidated (I know I was).

1 Like