Ultra-wide monitor Purchase and Setup

In order to clean up my monitor layout, I swapped out the two monitors I had attached to my computer for a single Ultra-wide. It took a bit of configuration to make it work but here is my story on it and how I was able to get my Linux machine to recognize a 2560x1080 display.

2 Likes

@CubicleNate, thanks for posting this. I believe I have a similar issue with a Acer 23" Monitor that acts as my external monitor at my standing desk. Every Linux distro has failed to correctly identify its mode. Its native resolution is supposed to be: 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz

When you first boot, the screen comes up at 1680x1050 at 59 Hz which causes the image to cut about 1/5 of the screen off on the left side, leaving a black strip on 1/5 of the screen on the right. I have fixed this by keeping a bash script that has the series of xrandr commands to put the monitor into the correct native resolution mode. I put that bash script into the “autostart” folder for whatever desktop environment I’m running on that machine, but your solution might work better. When I first had this issue, I believe on Ubuntu Mate 18.04 I believe I tried creating an xorg config file for the monitor, but that didn’t seem to fix the issue. Perhaps I failed to have it in the correct folder or something.

I’m guessing from reading your article that creating this file in Tumbleweed and putting it into that folder the monitor is giving the correct resolution during boot up?

My current solution only works after I log into the desktop, my log in screens still look a little off.

This is the first monitor that I have had to mess with to get the proper resolution in Linux since the old days of CRT’s and manually editing my xorg.conf file in Slackware.

1 Like

It gives me the correct resolution when it starts X and at the login screen. The computer itself cannot use the resolution properly. Maybe due to its age.

Playing with Xorg files IS like a throwback to the early 2000s!