Note taking apps

Just curious what folks are using for taking, storing and organizing notes. I’ve tried many options like Simplenote and Standard Notes but I have settled on Joplin. I really like the categorization, self hosting and that it’s free. The browser extension for clipping is also very handy. I don’t think the UI is all that special but am a fan of Markdown so it has pretty much everything I need.

Google Keep / A text file. Works for me. :man_shrugging:

Queue conspiracy theorists.

1 Like

I dont use notes a lot on my comouter there text files do the trick but on phone i do use onenote drom microsoft with a notebook hosted on my onedrive. And i do have web version of onenote bookmarked on my computer if i need ot

I use standard notes on Web / PC and Mobile - it keeps everything synced quite nicely.

Standard Notes

Regards Zeb
Be Kind Whenever Possible… It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

I use Sublime for work and Sublime and FeatherPad for personal use.

I use a combo of Standard Notes and Zim Wiki

Standard Notes is great to share among devices and use for little things. When It comes to organizing and access I like to move that stuff to Zim.

I use Standard Notes. You said you tried SN so can you say what’s better in Joplin?

I have tried the free version but I couldn’t use the markdown editor so I can’t directly compare them. I’m also not a huge fan of their desktop app.

I use Emacs: Org-Mode. It (Emacs) is an absolute pain to set up, but once you do, it’s really nice.

I used to use CherryTree, and that was pretty nice, but I find myself using markdown for more and more. Notes are no exception. The features of markdown make creating rich content easy, and make notes really navigable. When editing markdown, I’ll use either https://typora.io/ or VS Code.

1 Like

I quite like Typora but it’s a shame that it’s not open source. I didn’t like editing in rendered view at first but once I figured out I can just toggle back and forth easily with Ctrl+slash it made perfect sense. A good open source alternative seems to be Mark Text. I’ve used it a bit and it seems to be mostly on par with Typora although the UI is a bit odd.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but one of the reasons I like Discourse so much is because it supports Markdown. I know there are others but it was just an added bonus. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently, I am a pretty heavy user of TiddlyWiki, https://tiddlywiki.com/

I have been using it heavily for about 7 years now. If I find something better, I am open.

I’ve been using Standard Notes, Simplenote, and Zim-Wiki. Each has it’s purpose. I still have not found one specific note taking application to fill all my requirements.

If I were developing a note taking app you are the person I would seek out so I could figure out how to provide everything you’re looking for.

Thx. I have tried numerous note taking apps, but have not found one that fulfills all my requirements.

I started with Simplenote. I like that it is truly crossplatform and very easy to use. It’s handy on my iPhone and works very well on it. I still use it for quick notes. I do wish it had a nice indexing system like Zim does, although it does have the ability to “tag” notes. All files are stored on the Simplenote server and you can download your whole notebook to your computer. When it first came out, notes were not encrypted. Now, from what I have read, data is now encrypted.

That brings me to Zim. It’s a nice little wiki application. I like the interface, it’s ease of use and how fast it is. I can easily import and output notes and it has a nice indexing/table of contents function. Also, it has a large selection of plug-ins including graphs, LaTex (for equaitons), journaling, and a bunch more. It works on Linux, Mac and Windows. Unfortunately, there is no iOS or Android version. Files are stored on the computer that Zim is being run on. I back up my Zim directory to my file server, then copy it to whatever computer I am currently using if I plan to use Zim on that computer.

I use Standard Notes because it is cross-platform. It has a number of editor plug-ins whose functions and display vary. They are pretty good, but sometimes Standard Notes gets confused. All data is stored encyrpted on a remote server run by the Standards Notes people. So far, that has worked very well. Also, it will back up your files and send them to your e-mail on a daily basis.

I have also tried Cherrytree and Qownnotes. Both are pretty good. I have both of them on my computer and do use them periodically.

That’s just an overview for the three note-taking applications I use frequently. I could go into major details but that’s for a different post at another time. :slight_smile:

Barbara

3 Likes

I use Google Keep when I want notes that sync to my phone and other devices. The benefits of this include tie-ins with my Google Calendar and features such as shared notes, location-based reminders, as well as easy copies to Google Docs.

When it comes to local notes on my computer, I tend to use apps like Notes-Up which I’ve found to be great for organizing many different types of notes in “Notebooks” similar to what OneNote used to do when IMHO it was good.

1 Like

I was once trying/thinking of naking my own notes app