New production build and my first AMD processor

I decided to build a dedicated PC for recording, editing and rendering my videos instead of always using my daily driver.

I’ve always been an Intel user, but with the lower cost and performance of Ryzen processors, I decided to take a dive and did some shopping.

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor (6 cores/12 threads @3.4 Ghz overclocked to 3.8 Ghz)
  • MSI A320M Pro-M2 V2 motherboard
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • 250GB Samsung EVO 970 M.2 PCI-E SSD (read/write 3500 MB/s & 2500 MB/s)
  • EVGA NVidia GeForce GT 710 (Dual DVI output)
    ---- GPU was originally MSI GeForce 710 but had issues with it.
  • Cooler Master Elite 500W Power supply
  • Termaltake V100 tower case

Total Cost : $620 (Canadian dollars). UPDATE: $645 with new GPU

THE BAD:
For some reason, I had issues with Fedora Gnome and Manjaro Gnome and Cinnamon. Random locking up in Fedora and graphical glitches in Manjaro. This was both with Nvidia drivers installed, and the BIOS updated to the latest version. I was going to start troubleshooting Manjaro, but decided that it had too much software pre-installed anyways.

I tried to keep tweaking and workarounds to a minimum to keep things running smoothly, so my troubleshooting was kept to a minimum on purpose. After much frustration, I did an Arch install with Gnome Desktop and it works perfectly on the first attempt, BTW… :wink:

THE GOOD:
I very much enjoy that the Ryzen processors use the same AM4 socket which leaves upgrades very easy to do.

The GeForce 710 works great for putting pixels on a screen, which is all I need (Not for gaming).

It’s FAST.

CONCLUSION:

The OS runs REALLY fast and everything loads almost instantly thanks to the SSD with read speeds of 3.5GB/s and write speeds of 2.5GB/s! And the Ryzen processor does a fantastic job at compiling packages and multithreaded video rendering.

I’m a little disappointed there were some glitches with other distros, but since I won’t be doing any distro hopping, and it’ll stay with the same one, I’m satisfied with the end result, and the performance is much better than I expected.

I’m sure there are other distros that would work fine as well, but I was just going through my list of personal preferences. In the end, using Arch suits my needs of having a minimal system with only what I need.

2 Likes

Dang!

Sounds like a great machine.

1 Like

Thanks for posting. I have an aging 3rd gen i5 system that’s sloooow and in need of an upgrade. I can’t quite afford it at the moment but it’s good to get some ideas.

It is! I’m just happy to have a dedicated machine now that works this well!

Yeah I’m quite impressed considering I picked some of the cheapest components, and the CPU was a good sale since it’s last Gen. It could be even cheaper if you go for a Ryzen 1600 or less, and less RAM. Reusing an existing power supply and tower would also save some cash but I didn’t have any spares. The bonus with this is the ability to simply upgrade the CPU or RAM and keep the motherboard.

1 Like

Nice little build you got there, strange about the glitches in Gnome though I’ve 3 ryzen builds and never have any issues with gnome but I only have AMD gpus. But with 2nd gen ryzen you might want to enable PBO and XMP in the BIOS those chips love fast ram and higher power caps.

1 Like

nice, right now I only dream of builds like that, my 3rd generation i5 is like a new computer to me without a GPU lol

1 Like

Thanks. Which distros do you use? Fedora was random freezing, and Manjaro was graphics glitches possibly related to using dual monitors. Graphics glitches were black borders around windows and some flashing. Since my monitors are stacked vertically I changed the layout to be one on top of the other as well, but when I would try to change it, one screen would go black, but not always the same one. When I did finally get both to stay on, there was some bad tearing.

In the end, Arch worked great out of the box with no issues at all. I’m not sure but it might have been Nvidia driver version issues with my GeForce 710.

Thanks for the tip on those BIOS settings. This is my first AMD CPU and I’ve never heard of those setting before…

I run fedora on my workstation ubuntu for my htpc and the last one is the family gaming rig so sadly still windows lol.
I was just thinking maybe your Gnome troubles come from Wayland + Nvidia try to switch to Xorg.

I only ever use Xorg because that’s what OBS supports (it doesn’t do Wayland yet). I’m thinking it’s the 710 GPU because I never had these issues with my 210 which is much older architecturally.

Yeah, Nvidia still has some issues on linux. Pop comes in an iso with Nvidia drivers preinstalled. I hope you enjoy your ryzen build they are really fun little cpu to play with.

1 Like

That sounds like a great piece of hardware.
I am definately also going to team red next time i buy cpu. I think I will also buy AMD GFX.

1 Like

if i ever soon build new system for myself team red for CPU but i still have salt from old red gpu even tho nowdays its much better

1 Like

So I thought everything was well. It wasn’t. After recording a video, I tried to edit and the kdenlive video viewer kept flashing and blanking out so I had to use my laptop to edit.

Turns out it was the MSI GeForce 710 graphic card I had. It had a VGA, HDMI and DVI output. It’s possible that using different types as my output was causing the problem since I use dual-screen.

I exchanged it yesterday for an EVGA GeForce GT 710 with dual DVI ports, and reinstalled Fedora Workstation 30. Worked straight out of the box with nouveau drivers. Flawless video, no more glitches, and don’t even require proprietary Nvidia drivers for it to work on both screens. There are a few spots in my last video on GRUB where you can see a couple artifacts when screen capturing the machine. I haven’t noticed it happen yet with the new GPU.

Super happy now. Not sure if I should have stayed with Arch or not though. I really like how fast the package manager (pacman) is. DNF is much much slower to use, but since this is a production machine and won’t be installing much other than updates, it should be fine now.

So, add $25 to the above list for the extra cost of the more expensive GPU :wink:

1 Like

DNF should be a little better once this is fixed.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1739867

1 Like

I have always built my own PCs and tend to keep them for at least 5 years. I have a 3rd gen i5 at the moment that is definitely showing its age. Prior to that I had an AMD system and really enjoyed it so I thought it was time to try again. I’m going to reuse most of my existing system because to me, a case is a case and I have a perfectly fine full tower with a good power supply and all the rest. The GTX 970 I’m using is still a great card, even for gaming which I really don’t often do. I’ll just be replacing the motherboard, processor, memory and optical drive because my current one works sometimes. I am looking to future proof a bit while still staying one gen behind to not pay the new hotness tax.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

I considered a non-x 2700 and overclocking but I’d rather just get the out of the box performance of the x and be done with it. I can’t think of a reason I’d need 32 GB of memory and I can always upgrade later if it’s an issue. I also considered a B450 based motherboard but again, future proofing and spending the extra money seems to make more sense.

I sort of forgot how insane you can make yourself researching options, reading reviews…on and on until you find the perfect setup. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yeah I returned my DOA memory and decided to stick with 16GB RAM. I’ll see how long I run this new system before I start thinking of upgrading the CPU. For now it’s quite a performance increase from what I had before so I’m happy. But I am keeping an eye on the 3rd gen pricing to see when I can jump in on a good deal. Right now it’s still the new hotness prices…

And yes, the researching gets ridiculous real fast. I think I had at least 6 different systems built online for pricing and checking reviews etc… I just wish I knew about the 710 issue beforehand so I could save myself 2 weeks of messing around lol

1 Like

Nice little rig the 2700 is a great cpu but keep an eye on 3rd gen sales or discount because the bump in performance is really noticeable.
I totally agree on the fact that pc parts hunting can drive you nuts very quicly and for a long time, I spent nearly a year perfecting my workstation before pulling the trigger.

Have fun

I don’t have a burning need to upgrade at this very moment so I may wait for something to go on sale. The 3rd gen does seem pretty impressive. I’d have to go up to a x570 though I assume but maybe not…

With the new AMD chips coming out now is the time to get into 1st gen or 2nd gen real cheap.

Sales all over the place.

1 Like