Linux Mint 19.2 has arrived

Just installed this bad boy on my Big Dell Laptop, will be playing with it while I’m away until I can update the main i7 Tower I use for my main studio PC back home.

3 Likes

Yesterday I installed the packages for Cinnamon tina (as of 4.2.3 latest) so I think that I will update cinnamon every release and if not every time a major update (as in a tenth, like 4.2 to 4.3) I will recompile

Had you been using Mint previously and, if so, do you notice any major difference?

Tried the Xfce-Edition and must say that it feels faster than 19.1.
There are no major changes, but the small ones are very well thought out and for people coming from Windows or new users in general, Mint is probably a good, if not the best choice and very intuitive.
I really like the Kernel-Section in the Update-Manager and how easy it is to delete old Kernels with just one click.

2 Likes

There are some bugs MrGizmo discovered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dd2UKT0OKc

I agree that they do a very nice job with the details and I would recommend it to newer users because of this and the way that it guides them toward best practices (updating, backups and the like).

2 Likes

Got home today and installed the update to my i7 desktop PC and the major difference is that I can now use the propriety NVIDIA driver for my ancient GeForce8400 which broke when I previously updated my Kernel to the 5.0.0 branch other than that all the upgrades with this update seem to be back office stuff so no major differences that I can see.

1 Like

Mint hasn’t run well on my laptop in the past but, in spite of this, I decided to give it a try. I’m not sure what they’ve changed but it now seems to run perfectly. The system is running cool so the fans aren’t kicking on constantly. Battery life seems better. I’ve had a few little issues like WiFi seems to be a little slower and the new version of Cinnamon has some rough edges but nothing serious. All in all, more good work from the Mint team.

2 Likes

Another update, just because it is running so well and I am enjoying it so much. The new Cinnamon really is a joy to use and again, it is running so well on my Dell XPS 15 9570 laptop. I also took a look at the MATE version and have to say that while MATE isn’t my favorite they did a nice job with the layout and theme consistency.

1 Like