Impressions and Roadblocks

Hey all

As a newer linux user @franksmcb suggested Introduce Yourself you guys may want to hear about my journey into linux.

I originally played with Ubuntu back in 2006 and after a disastrous family photos loss- always have multiple backups :grimacing: - I forgot about linux until about a year ago. Concerns over online privacy and Win10 telemetry started my journey back to linux and initially I was only looking at hardening Win10. I would credit this site https://www.privacytools.io/ with bringing linux to my attention again. So I started looking at Debian and quickly gave up as I could not get it installed. I think I then stumbled onto Distrowatch and started looking at the Top 10 list- I know what you guys think about that metric :wink: - I’ve been through MX, Manjaro, Mint, Fedora, Arco, Ubuntu and probably more and each time everything works, except one random thing so… nuke & pave was my response :crazy_face: - Fast forward a year and I’ve settled on Ubuntu 18.04, I’m not a power user, I will use forums and internet search to try and fix problems but lose interest if it becomes too much of a chore.

To sum up my impressions, i guess I’ve found Ubuntu has so many support articles both official and third party that it fits me as a newer user, I can usually find the answer to my question somewhere on the Google.

Roadblocks, my biggest one was my own Nuke & Pave solution to any problems I had. I guess I was expecting everything to be perfect and now I realise that’s not possible, linux fragmentation is it’s greatest strength but possibly it’s Achilles heal too, anyway Long Live Linux.

Steve.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story Steve. I’m glad to hear you are giving it a try again. Let us know if you hit any issues you think we can help with. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome! Or perhaps I should say welcome back! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Your story is something that everybody in this community can relate to because we have all had similar experiences. I want to thank you for sharing your story with us and we did cover it on BDLL this week if you want to listen in.

1 Like

Hey Rocco

Just finished listening- Wow I didn’t think my story would give you guys so much to talk about- to the point of muting everyone :smile:

Looking forward to the next one.

Steve.

2 Likes

That mute was a long time coming Steve! lol

2 Likes