If Your Distro Suddenly Disappeared

Not sure if this is the correct place for this topic. If not, it can be moved. :slight_smile:

Anyway, if your daily driver distro suddenly disappeared and was no longer available, what would your next daily driver distro choice be?

I started thinking about this while I was installing OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on my Thinkpad T440s. I realized that, if Ubuntu disappeared overnight, my next daily driver would most likely be OpenSUSE or Solus. I would have to flip a coin to choose between the two.

Barbara.

5 Likes

If Endeavour/Arch/whatever disappeared I’d go Tumbleweed I think.

Still rolling, “just works” and also seems to have a lot of software available.

5 Likes

Tumbleweed is great. I ran it before and just reinstalled it. In the 6 months I ran it before, I never had a problem with it in terms of updates crashing the system.

3 Likes

Barb, my own answer is close to yours.
Solus has been my daily driver for about 3 years, and if it went away I would seriously contemplate moving to OpenSuse Tumbleweed as a replacement rolling release.
Currently my backup distro, actually installed on a spare laptop, is Peppermint 10. Not rolling, but still a most excellent system that fits my workflow very well.

2 Likes

Peter,
I don’t mind a rolling or semi-rolling release as long as it’s not going to crash my system after an update. I have to say that both Tumbleweed and Solus don’t puke on themselves after an update. Arch-based systems are a bit too iffy for me.

1 Like

I use Mint currently and it’s been my daily driver for 10 years, but if it were to go away I think I would consider PCLinuxOS which I reviewed last month on DHD or the new Endeavor which I’ve been playing with in a VM for the last few days, a roling release is starting to seem the logical next move for my daily driver so I can keep a system that I don’t constantly need to reinstall unless I want to. Won’t stop me distro hopping though :wink:

2 Likes

Nice question @piperbarb

I’d likely go towards using Manjaro or to one of the Big Deb inspired flavors like MX or Q4OS.

2 Likes

If Manjaro went away I’d go back to Arch. If Manjaro went away because Arch went away I’d go with a Debian based distro. I like rolling release but I don’t need it. I do need software availability. If Arch and the AUR were gone I think Debian based distros would probably have the best software availability.

2 Likes

If PopOS! went away tomorrow I’m really not sure what I would do but I would pick something stable and the Gnome DE for my work computers probably something like Elementary maybe and I’d look at something like Solus, Fedora or Arch for my gaming PC

1 Like

If my main (Ubuntu 19.10 where I do 80%) disappeared I’d be using Debian testing (running on another box). If I couldn’t use debian, opensuse (tumbleweed) I have on another box, If I couldn’t … etc.

If I couldn’t use any GNU/Linux - I’d use FreeBSD (that I haven’t touched in years being replaced by this Ubuntu 17.10 system that is now 19.10)

As long as I don’t have to return to windoze I’d survive.

3 Likes

I’m currently running Arch and would like to keep a rolling release. My first choice would be Manjaro, but I’m assuming any derivatives of our daily driver would also disappear. Should that be the case, I would install openSUSE Tumbleweed instead. I’ve used it in the past and was comfortable in it for a few months before getting the urge to return home.

As far as other rolling releases, Solus didn’t have all the packages I wanted in its repos last time I tried it and I’ve managed to break Void in the past, which left a bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

Well, if elementary OS ever disappeared, Debian would be my next move. If both disappeared, this would mean any Debian and Ubuntu-based distro disappear too, and I’d likely just use Windows again.

If Solus disappeared I think I could make a nice home on openSUSE Tumbleweed

2 Likes

Its interesting to see how many people have openSUSE as a back up distro. I like it

2 Likes

My current daily driver is Pop!_OS.

So, if that disappeared I’d probably use Silverblue or Fedora Workstation.
If those were gone, it’d be Arch or Windows.

1 Like

I know I’m the Bodhi Linux advocate, but my current daily driver is Ubuntu Mate now that I have two machines both with 4gigs of RAM. So if Ubuntu Mate went away…

• I would probably move back to Bodhi or give MX Linux a try because having a friendly and helpful community behind a solid distro is important to me.
  • If those were not options because the whole Debian world imploded, I would probably try Fedora again. That was my favorite distro back before I took my 7 year hiatus from Linux. It was a favorite because technically it was really great, a system update every 6 months never broke my system, and I remember the community being friendly and helpful too. I don’t know what Fedora is like today because I have not given the community or the distro a try since coming back to Linux 2 years ago.
  • If all else failed, I would probably run whatever my son is running because the apprentice is quickly surpassing his old man in Linux knowledge.
5 Likes

I’m currently using Fedora Workstation. If that were gone I’d probably try Solus or Tumbleweed.

3 Likes

It’s really hard to say. I use *buntu distros mainly because they run so well on my laptop. I also am used to apt and dpkg and it’s nice that just about every piece of software I use has a .deb package. If all that was gone, including Debian, I guess I would use Arch since it also runs pretty well for the most part.

Considering I use Manjaro, Arch, Q4OS and Silverblue all regularly, I guess I would just be down to 3 daily drivers instead of 4 :grin:

1 Like

I noticed that. I think it’s because Tumbleweed is quite stable (I’ve never had it break on me) and up -to-date. It also doesn’t require a whole bunch of fiddling with it once it’s installed.

2 Likes