Fedora Silverblue

@argrubbs did a great job explaining Fedora Silverblue. I’m definitely interested to check it out now.

2 Likes

I’ve been using it for several days. It’s very interesting indeed. A few tips and info;

If you’ve never used flatpaks it can be strange at first. I’ve personally used snaps, but never flatpaks before. You can head to flathub.org and follow the quick setup instructions to add even more available applications. EVERYTHING is done seamlessly through the Gnome Software Center just like if you’re installing regular packages.

The terminal will show you more information when installing and updating. The Gnome Software Center will sometimes just show “Installing… 0%” for a while, seeming like it’s stuck, when it’s actually working. Also, when checking for updates, it will be actually DOWNLOADING any updates you may have, while it’s still displaying “checking for updates”. Then it will just prompt for a reboot.

Be aware that running in a VM makes it run really slow, especially when everything is first syncing and updating. I run it on a 10-year old PC with an SSD and it runs quite fast.

Hope that helps you get started.

1 Like

Thanks, @EricAdams!

Fedora Silverblue is a great distro for developers and users alike. There are some limitations right now, as it is early days, but it’s far more capable than it looks on the surface. As a person who enjoys trying out the latest stuff before it’s generally available, having the ability to spin up a containerized version of the software from git or the beta Flatpak is game-changing. It’s the problem that beta testers and devs fight, how do I develop/try things without hosing my system in the process? This is a great solution to that.

OSTREE updates are another thing that I enjoy quite a bit. Anyone who is familiar with Chrome OS will recognize the update method. I enjoy being able to make changes via rpm-ostree and committing those changes to my own image for later use. The potential for other distros to make ostree images opens up a whole world of distro-hopping. :slight_smile:

If anyone has any questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them as best I can. @Dorian also took the plunge and that’s awesome. I don’t think it’s BDLL challenge material, but it really is the future of application deployment and operating system management. (Hence why Google uses that system for Chrome OS)

2 Likes

@argrubbs there are comments on the BDLL episode about Silverblue you may want to answer

Someone mentioned on the stream that running this in a VM isn’t a good idea. Is that true and, if so, why?

Yes that was me. It runs, but it runs poorly. I’m not sure why, but it’s clunky. I know VM’s can get performance losses, but this is much more than I’ve experienced before. And this is on new hardware, i7 with 4 cores and 8GB RAM to the VM.

In comparison, I installed it on hardware on my test rig which is a 10-year-old Core2Quad Q8400 with 6GB RAM and it ran much much better than in the VM on my new hardware.

If you’re willing to accept that the VM will run sluggishly and have the patience to let it do its thing, then it’s perfectly workable and will do the same things in the end.

This was running in VirtualBox 6 btw. Maybe VMWare would give you a different experience.

1 Like

I had normal fedora speeds in my vbox vm but i didnt delve deep in it

I did a walkthrough of Silverblue if anyone is curious about it.

https://youtu.be/BkrGij4LNC0

2 Likes

It’s a good video that Dorian has put together. If you are new to the idea of Silverblue I’d recommend it. Nice hint about dock-to-panel in his video :grinning:

I wrote up a blog post about Silverblue. It’s more of a general overview of the software and how I think it fits in. I’ll be writing something about my personal experience soon, but here’s an excerpt from the post:

"There’s a lot of choice in desktop Linux these days. So many distros and so many workflows to choose from. Some light, some heavy. Some traditional, some far-out. However, for the most part they all follow a very similar path. There’s the base Linux system, systemd (though not always), Xorg/Wayland, and your package manager and accompanying packages. It’s a solid system that’s worked for a very long time.

What if I told you that there was a different way? A way that can, in fact, simplify your Linux experience through complexity. A future of immutable hosts and containerized applications.

I present to you Fedora Silverblue."

Find the rest here:
https://adam.grubbs.io/fedora-silverblue-what-can-blue-do-for-you/

6 Likes