Endless OS - Sept 7 and Sept 14

The challenge for the next two weeks is Endless OS.

They describe their distro thusly:

It is based on Debian Stable. There are two download options, a full version that comes preloaded with over 100 apps and essential tools so you have all you need, even when there’s no internet access. It’s quite a bit larger than a typical ISO, clocking in at a healthy 16.11 GB. If that’s too a bit too large for your tastes there is a Basic version that is 2.03 GB. Both can be found here:

Download Endless OS

Please post any feedback in this thread so others can benefit from your experience.

1 Like

For those running i3wm, run VirtualBox in another DE/WM, VB doesnt play well with tiling WM’s :slight_smile:

Ok, well it doesn’t appear that there is a way to install it in a multiboot scenario with other linux distros. On their website it states, “ If you use macOS, Linux or another operating system: we currently do not support dual boot for your operating system. If you install Endless OS, it will replace your existing operating system. We strongly recommend that you try running Endless OS from a USB stick first, or run Endless OS in a virtual machine.”

I will do some more research…hard to believe there is no way to do this!

Really no different than Solus and how that really only plays nice as the only OS installed just @Zeb about that one. and you can do a persistance install on the usb stick and move apps you want to install to the usb stick.

1 Like

I’m sure it has to do with their installer and 1.) not providing a way to customize partitions and 2.) not using osprober to add other OSes to grub. It’s a limitation they created for themselves for whatever reason.

1 Like

I was just going to post the same warning about Endless, I tried an install as a dual/multi boot a couple of weeks ago and It screwed up Grub, and wouldn’t recognize all of the OS’s that were still on the SSD despite when I checked it definitely hadn’t over written that partition.

Also downloading the FULL iso by a torrent and it says 16.11G on the site but the torrent says 17.29G it’s massive :rofl: even with good bandwidth over WiFi it’s about a 40minute download.

Going to have a look in a VM but will need to install on a 50G Virtual HDD as it’s so big obviously that will be a dynamic virtual disk but it will be interesting what it actually takes up after install. My previous install was with the minimal (relatively) iso.

it took me about 10 mins to download LOL but I agree with the rest of everyone poor installation especially for someone who wants to dual boot

Yes, as a dual-booter who likes to take on the “challenges”, it was disappointing to learn this.

If you use TWM’s favor virt-manager for VMs it works flawlessly.

I decided to go Gnome Boxes and it worked flawlessly too, first time using it. Fairly impressed with Gnome Boxes but I will check out virt manager next time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder about Gnome Boxes as a virtual environment, I’ve downloaded it in OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and will give it a test as not used it before.

Boxes is great for light vms Virt-manager is a little more difficult to set up but far more powerful with hardware passthrough…

1 Like

Attempted to install Endless OS full blown ISO this morning and there is absolutely no way to just use a partition on the install that I could find and being told it was going to Format my whole SSD when I pressed next. No way hosey…

I don’t do VM reviews - So I am out…

Regards Zeb…

Be Kind Whenever Possible… It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

2 Likes

I think I heard @EricAdams say that Virt-Manager is on its way out on his live stream last night. That the maintainer Redhat has chosen to not continue developing it. So it might not be a good alternative no longer. I normally use Virtual Box, but it was not meshing very well with i3 but I will figure something out if Google Boxes isn’t a option in the future. I can always go into KDE Plasma for a bit to test an OS.

1 Like

Not missing much but a lot of what we already get online in an offline form, I kind of would preferred to install Arch :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I swear I have read this somewhere but am having a hard time finding information about it now. Maybe I was mistaken. In any case, it will continue working for at least the foreseeable future so if that’s the best solution for you I wouldn’t worry about using it.

good to know, ill add that to my try and see list. I tried installing Arch on Gnome Boxes and it was hard to adjust the font size or resolution so I need something that hopefully can… I wanna try to do one of those for once :slight_smile:

I can’t find anything about it either. I hope they continue tu maintain it though, it’s a great piece of software.

Arch’s a bit of a pain in qemu and boxes needs some tweak in the virtualization tools beforehand to work properly.