DLN Xtend Podcast

I hope you’ll allow me a bit of shameless self-promotion but CubicleNate and I have just started a new podcast called DLN Xtend where we look back at this week’s Destination Linux Network shows. It’s really just two friends talking about Linux, which we love to do anyway. Why not record it, right? Hopefully it’s something you will enjoy listening to. We will be trying to get new shows out each Friday and will keep them around 30 minutes. We welcome any feedback or ideas you have for topics, segments or whatever else you can think of. Thanks for listening!

7 Likes

So far so good. episode 0 was a good start, episode 1 maintains that start… it hasn’t sent me to sleep yet. :grin:

1 Like

Perhaps not the most rousing endorsement but I’ll take it! :grin:

1 Like

I have to admit, that I love this new show for the following reasons:

1. You both speak at a speed that I believe Noah and Michael could learn to emulate.
  2. I appreciate audio only. When a podcast offers both, the presenters will forget at times to explain what they are seeing to the audio only audience. Since I tend to listen to podcasts on walks, doing the dishes, or driving I appreciate the audio only format.
  3. I appreciate podcasts that try to stay below an hour, it just works better to fit the podcast into my day.
  4. You two guys are just super nice guys so I enjoy having you in my ears during the week.

I can easily see DLN Xtend becoming one of my top 5 “must listen to each week” podcasts.

1 Like

Hey, if you knew just how many times I’ve ended up falling asleep to podcasts at 2am and had to relisten the following day you would take it as a compliment.

Signed : Your friendly neighbourhood insomniac

1 Like

DLN Xtend - Episode 6

This week we cover a discussion of tax preparation software from the DLN Discourse forum, discuss the ramifications of Private Internet Access being purchased by Kape Technologies, what IPFire is and how Nate is using it, a creator’s perspective on the Brave browser rewards program, and DasGeek’s experience with the Pinebook Pro.

Download DLN Xtend Episode 6

Episode Links

2 Likes

Hello,

I have been listening to the DLN Xtend and really enjoy it. Thank you! I just wanted to share that I have been using TaxAct for my tax purposes since 2004/2005 (I think). It is web based and has been able to offer/handle all the life events since then. Every year, my brother law asks me if I want to share the software cost for Turbo Tax, and, every year, I tell him if it does not support Linux I cannot use it. One can recall previous years data to save time and I have been very pleased with it so far.

1 Like

Glad to hear you are enjoying the show! I haven’t heard of TaxAct before. I’ll have to take a look. Maybe @CubicleNate could compare it to Turbo Tax.

DLN Xtend 7 out now!

This week we discuss the DLN community’s take on must-have software, Ubuntu Touch on the Raspberry PI, concerns over proprietary software from Flathub appearing in the Software Center on Fedora, Bitwarden software spotlight, and DLN’s first charity FreeGeek.

2 Likes

On this episode of DLN Xtend we discuss our week with elementary OS 15.1 Hera and Emby and home media servers. Our community segment converges with Linux for Everyone where @JasonEvangelho asks the question “What do you appreciate about Linux compared to Windows?”. Destination Linux interviewed Hilary Shohoney of FreeGeek. FreeGeek is the first charity chosen by the Destination Linux Network as part of our effort to give back to the Linux community. They also covered one of our favorite audio apps, PulseEffects. On This Week in Linux, Michael mentioned the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS survey and all of the effort going into the KDE Plasma 5.18 LTS release. Finally, we finish up on with KDE’s Discovery software center.

We appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to listen to our podcast. If there’s anything we can do to improve please let us know. Thank you!

DLN Xtend Episode 8

1 Like

DN Xtend - Episode 9

We’ve been busy with the holidays and took a short break. We’re back with a new episode to start 2020. In this edition, we cover what we’ve done these past few weeks. Nate tells us more about his holiday lighting project and Eric talks about EndeavourOS, Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix and that leads us into a discussion on how Linux distributions differentiate themselves.

We received some listener feedback from Anthony Lavado of the Jellyfin project which leads to a discussion on home media servers like Jellyfin, Plex and Emby.

Jason Evangelho’s account of his 12 Months of Discovery on Linux for Everyone over the past two episodes prompted us to look back at our 2019 experience to see what discoveries of our own we’ve made.

Destination Linux covered the Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix releases and pondered the merit of an Ubuntu Cinnamon flavor. There was a lot of talk about Linux Mint already filling that space but I disagree.

This Week in Linux covered the release of Feren OS which was recently made available. It’s a fascinating example of what someone can achieve in the open source world. We discuss the merits of Feren OS and lovingly poke a bit of fun at its creator.

Lastly, our friend Zeb undertook a monumental 24 live stream on his Zebedee Gaming YouTube channel. He was raising money for DLN’s first charity collaboration with FreeGeek. The total came out to an impressive $1,500. Congratulations to Zeb and FreeGeek. Certainly a great way to end the year!

That’s all for this week. Be sure to stop by DLN’s Discourse, Telegram, Mumble and Discord servers to continue the discussion. More information about this show and other Destination Linux Network shows and creators is available at destinationlinux.network.

Until next time, see yas!

Episode Links

1 Like

DLN Xtend - Episode 10

In this edition, Nate talks about setting up quick tiling on KDE’s Plasma desktop environment and also using Linux in the kitchen for recipes and entertainment.

This week’s Community Focus covers a Discourse forum post entitled Giving Back to OUR Community which discusses donating to open source projects as well as content creators. We cover commercial use of open source and how if companies that benefit financially would contribute back to the projects they use those projects would likely make enough revenue to cover their costs and then some. Mentioned in this discussion is the recent dilemma that the Pods Framework find themselves after their main financial contributor chose to not continue their support.

DasGeek’s YouTube Channel reaches a milestone and passes 10,000 subscribers. Ryan does a great job reviewing hardware but, more importantly, following up and making more videos about the same hardware over time so you can find out what it’s like to use it over time. That’s often not the case with many YouTube tech channels.

Destination Linux provided an update on the FreeGeek fund raising effort. The goal was $3,000 and, thanks to Zeb’s 24 stream, we are well on our way. He raised over $1,500 so again, congratulations to him and the entire Destination Linux Network community for such generosity.

Destination Linux covered the release of Kdenlive 19.12. Nate has been using it to edit his videos and gives feedback.

And finally, darktable version 3.0.0 has been released. darktable is an open source photography workflow application. We are not photographers so we wanted to get a power user’s take. Luckily, friend of DLN Wendy Hill (@TheWendyPower) was available. Wendy has appeared as a guest host on Destination Linux and is a professional photographer specializing in business-to-business photography including food, product, and location image creation. She uses Linux for her business and darktable is one of the tools she uses for her images. We discuss what darktable is, how she uses it and what’s interesting about this latest release.

That’s all for this week. Be sure to stop by DLN’s Discourse, Telegram, Mumble and Discord servers to continue the discussion. More information about this show and other Destination Linux Network shows and creators (like Eric and Nate for example) is available at destinationlinux.network.

2 Likes

Having @Wendy_Hill on the show was fantastic. She provided such excellent information about Darktable, how it’s used and her use cases.

2 Likes

It was an excellent discussion of Darktable. @Wendy_Hill shared a lot of info in that segment.

2 Likes

DLN Xtend - Episode 11

This week Nate talks about his admiration for Kdenlive and even using it to editing audio. Who knew? Eric gets back to making YouTube videos, in particular one on AppImageLauncher.

The community segment is on a topic Eric started about the best dIstro and DE combo for workstations. He ended up giving openSUSE Tumbleweed a try much to Nate’s delight. We discuss the magic of Tumbleweed snapshots.

As a reminder in case you missed it, last week we had Wendy Hill as a guest to tell us how she uses darktable as a professional photographer. Absolutely worth a listen if you have any interest in photography.

Destination Linux brought up the issue of elitism in Linux this week and we give a few thoughts on both sides of the argument.

The subject of backing up settings and deploying them on KDE Plasma came up this week on Destination Linux. Nate explains how this works by installing an SDK.

We talk about our Linux “hopes and dreams” for 2020. Eric hopes for good Linux options for mobile devices, especially on tablets and Nate wishes that more companies develop professional software for Linux.

There is a special Destination Linux Network announcement this week in the form of a new podcast. Hardware Addicts will focus on hardware that works with Linux, from single board computers to high-end AMD systems. Look for the first episode to land in the coming week.

That’s all for this week. Be sure to stop by DLN’s Discourse, Telegram, Mumble and Discord servers to continue the discussion. More information about this show and other Destination Linux Network shows and creators (like Eric and Nate for example) is available at destinationlinux.network.

1 Like

You posted this but I heard this in @CubicleNate’s voice.

2 Likes

DLN Xtend - Episode 13

Welcome to episode 13 of DLN Xtend. In the weekly update segment, Nate fixes his robot vacuum. Eric talks about his latest YouTube videos, including video trimming tools and a new episode the LibreOffice Calc series with Serge.

Our community focus this week is a topic from the Destination Linux Network Discourse forum about laptop brands that support Linux.

Nate and Eric discuss wanting a Linux-based tablet.

DLN recently held their second game night.

Destination Linux discussed Linux User Groups (LUGs) and we discuss what it takes to get started.

Destination Linux also interviewed Hayden Barnes of Canonical’s WSL team. The DL crew asked some tough questions and we go into how Hayden seems to have swayed their opinions on Microsoft’s recent “love” for Linux.

And last for this week, Jason Evangehlo of Linux for Everyone, Jason interviewed Dustin Krysak of Ubuntu Budgie and we discuss the nature for FOSS and how we can be appreciative and give back.

1 Like

DLN Xtend - Episode 14

Welcome back to DLN Xtend. In this 14th episode, Eric talks about setting up a VPN to connect to his home network as well as more experimentation with JACK audio. Nate discusses transferring his domain to a new registrar and the upcoming move to self hosting his website.

That leads nicely into our announcement this week of DigitalOcean becoming a network-wide sponsor of DLN. All Destination Linux Network shows, including ours, will be taking part. We discuss their introductory offer and how and why we are happy customers.

In Listener Feedback this week, Leviticus suggests we use video for the podcast and we hear from TheAssasin, developer of AppImageLauncher, who answers our questions from episode 11.

The DLN community has been discussing the PinePhone Braveheart edition over on the Discourse forum, testing UBPorts and other distros as well as some software. Many have shared their experiences. Did you buy a PinePhone? How has it been? Come share your thoughts in this thread.

A recent Software Spotlight on Destination Linux covered FreeCAD, a free and open-source general-purpose parametric 3D CAD application. It just so happens Nate is a long time user of FreeCAD and gives us some reasons why he is such a fan.

KDE’s Plasma desktop version 5.18 was recently released and we talk about what’s new and why we like Plasma in general.

Hardware Addicts, a new DLN podcast covering all things hardware, discussed the various cooling solutions and the virtues of each. We discuss our own experiences having both recently built AMD workstations. There is a new segment lead by Wendy Hill covering photography. This week she dives into the different types of cameras (i.e. Point and Shoot, DSLR) and explains what each does.

And finally, Michael Tunnell covers many. many things on each episode of This Week in Linux. He recently brought up ProtonCalendar from ProtonMail. This fills a gap we’ve previously had with using ProtonMail as a true alternative to other mail services that include this functionality.

2 Likes

DLN Xtend 16: Ubuntu 20.04, KDE Plasma 5.18, Manjaro 19.0, OBS, Lispy Snake

Welcome to DLN Xtend Episode 16. Eric tests Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa. Nate looks at KDE Plasma 5.18 and the Calligra office suite.

In this week’s community focus, there was a great discussion on KDE Plasma 5.18 and we get the warm fuzzies from a comment in Telegram.

Stuart Langridge guest hosted on Destination Linux and their guest was Ikey Doherty discussing his latest project, Lispy Snake, an independent game studio.

On This Week in Linux, Michael Tunnell covered the Manjaro 19.0 release which I made a video about and also Facebook becoming a sponsor of the OBS Studio project.

1 Like

Episode 17
FreeOffice, Kdenlive, AMD Vulnerability, Opensource.Builders, L4E Alan Pope Interview

1 Like