Debian 11

I thought about putting this in the “Fixed or Rolling Release” thread, but wasn’t sure it was a real fit soooo

I was using Debian Buster (as Testing) for over 6 months before Buster became the new stable. I had it on partitions on a couple of the refurbished laptops I have and upgrade it to “Stable” status. I also did a new install of Buster on my, let’s call it, my main laptop (replacing SparkyLinux 5.8).

Today, I’ve upgraded on of my refurbs Debian installs to Debian Bullseye (the new Testing) and as I type I’m upgrading this one also (lots of updates already from Debian 10). As I said, not exactly a Rolling release and the Debian “bleeding edge”, but I’m interested to see just how it goes. It may be 2 years before Bullseye goes stable, will it last that long before it breaks? will I get beored before then? will this refurbished HP EliteBook 8470p (or the Thinkpad X230 that I’ve already updated) last that long?

I will say that I have more faith in Debian Testing, even at this early stage, than I have in some distro “release candidates”

Anyone else playing with Bullseye? (Sid users need not reply, that’s a step too far for me :smile:)

1 Like

I’ll certainly be on here complaining if it breaks :smile:

dee bee an 11 @Batcastle

Expect Ubuntu 19.10 to be on these test builds.

Deb-Ian 11…

And SparkyLinux 6 already has it’s rolling option on the new Deb-Ian Testing branch

Using Debian Testing has been stable for me. Almost a year ago I started using Q4OS Centaurus which is based on Debian Buster, so I had essentially been using Buster for almost a year before the freeze and official release. I had zero issues with stability, and it had the feel of using a rolling release because the packages are updated regularly to the newest versions.

I really don’t think you have much to worry about it breaking or getting boring, because you will continue having the latest software updates. Sid is where things break often, and after fixes and some stability tests, it’ll pass into the next stage, which you are using. Stating that, I will also say (like I always do) that you should run regular backups, just in case. For system backups, I always recommend TimeShift, which can automatically run backups in the background on set intervals, and does a fantastic job of restoring the system, including the EFI partition, and can even reinstall GRUB for you as part of a restore.

1 Like