CubicleNate Noodlings

I have hesitated to share anything about my solo podcast. These are just my noodlings, things that are rattling around in my noggin. It is more or less a recap of things I am working on in audio form and links to whatever it is. I have a section on what is new in openSUSE and have recently started talking about computer history and in this last episode I am talking about computer generated music from 1983 and comparing it on how things have changed since. Also, PulseAudio is great. Other topics, Fusion 360, review additional thoughts and the history of the Linux client, some comments on Quick tiling in Plasma and Linux in the Kitchen. I also do a BDLL follow up, I wasn’t able to be there this weekend so I throw out my thoughts in my own echo chamber.

If you want to listen, great, if not, totally understand.

1 Like

I enjoy the Noodlings. They are short enough that I don’t get distracted (ooh, shiny thing!) and always entertaining.

1 Like

Episode 12 | Lighting the Emby Server with Kdenlive

This is a recap of my projects in audio form and some further thoughts about it. These are just the things I am thinking about.

• AMD System from Yester-Year Parts
  • Emby Server Thoughts
  • Kdenlive 19.12
  • Linux Powered Festive Lights
  • AppImageLauncher Review
  • BDLL Followup on the Discourse
  • openSUSE Corner
  • Computer History Retrospective about Simulator Software
1 Like

You are a fantastic noodler, Nate! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You are very kind!

1 Like

You’re more than welcome to post them here Nate!

1 Like

Episode 13 | Kontact Solaar through a VPN

Another echo chamber podcast about my latest projects:

• Kontact | Akonadi Reference
  • Solaar | Application for Logitech Unifying Receivers
  • Dell Inspiron 20 3048 SSD Upgrade
  • Windscribe VPN Service
  • BDLL Followup on FerenOS
  • openSUSE Corner
  • Computer History Retrospective about Word Processing
3 Likes

Episode 14 | LeoCAD, DeWalt and a UPS

I dusted it off, back by no demand… but the request of two.

• LeoCAD from Design to Publication
  • DeWalt cordless Power tool platform
  • APC UPS Battery Backup Rebuild
  • BDLL Followup
  • openSUSE Corner
  • Computer History Retrospective

Full Show Notes:

1 Like

I love me a good noodling. Great show @CubicleNate. Thanks for putting it out!

1 Like

Another Noodling, only because I enjoy doing them, and I have 3 fans of them. Thoughts on KDE Plasma 5.19, Partition Manager, openSUSE Tumbleweed on an HP Zbook and a BADaptor.

2 Likes

Assuming your count is otherwise accurate, you’ve actually had four fans of them for a couple of months now. I’ve enjoyed hearing about your exploits very much. :smile:

1 Like

Noted, 4 fans, I am good with that!

My 16th noodling, now presented in Technicolor is available for you to download or just take a listen.

Topics include:

• Amiga 1200 replacement case and keyboard
  • Video Content now on LBRY (too)
  • openSUSE Leap 15.2 Virtual Installation Party
  • openSUSE Documentation Update
  • BDLL Followup
  • openSUSE Corner
  • Computer History Retrospective on Storage Devices

My 17th noodling of technical musings | Designing, Replacing and Configuring

• Fusion 360 Architectural Design
  • MechBoard64
  • Zoom Meeting Largue UI Elements Fix
  • Tuxedo Pulse 15
  • BDLL Followup
  • openSUSE Corner
  • Computer History Retrospective
2 Likes

Listened to 17 today and, as always, enjoyed it. Thank you. May I have another?

1 Like

Yes, you may. I have much of my next one set, believe it or not! :smiley:

I don’t know why, but I love these noodlings. Maybe because they are of reasonable length or because I’m often interested in your adventures reusing older hardware like I do on a daily basis, but I love these shows.

Speaking of which, I’m thinking of re purposing an old tower that I got from a relative, not sure of the AMD chip on the board, I need to look into this some more, but it has one dimm of DDR3 Ram that I believe is 3 GB, which I have never seen before, have you?
It has an open dimm slot so I could add another stick of RAM. It has a ton of open bays, and I have lots of 2.5 spinning rust drives from 320GB-1TB. It has two open SATA ports on the motherboard, but only one extra SATA power connector. If I get some power spliters, a SATA PCI-e card, mounting brackets to go from 3.5" to 2.5", could put at least 6 more disks into the tower.

My ultimate plan for the box mentioned is set it up as a Debian server with btfs controlling a RAID configuration of the extra drives and using it as a learning experience for network attached storage, backups, and administering docker containers.

1 Like

I might disappoint you as it includes some new hardare…

I think your project sounds fantastic! Though, when you say older with DDR3 my head spins a bit as I still find the speeds of DDR2 pretty phenominal but… I have to realize it is not 2008 anymore!

I think this would make a great system to learn any Linux+server applications. Debian is great for this, but if I am being my normal biased self… I think you might know what you should do with that BTRFS system!

Good luck with that fun stuff!

18 Noodlings strong | Hardware is for the terminal

• Ultrawide Upgrade Challenges
  • Tmux Desktop setup and interaction
  • Turn off Monitor using CLI
  • BDLL Followup
  • openSUSE Corner
  • Computer History Retrospective on Printers
1 Like

Episode 19 | BIOS Games Serving the NDI™ Plugin

• BIOS Update Dell Latitude E6440
  • AntiMicro
  • AMD Sever / Workstation CPU Downgrade
  • OBS NDI Plugin on openSUSE
  • BDLL Followup
  • openSUSE Corner
  • Computer History Retrospective on Fifth Generation Computers (1984)

#ChocolateMilk

1 Like