Cinnamon on openSUSE Tumbleweed

In my continuing effort to put Cinnamon on all the things, I decided to look at how well it works on openSUSE Tumbleweed. The answer is pretty well. The installer is really very good outside of a few oddities (I’m looking at you WiFi) and their one-click install is handy.

3 Likes

I was just going to create an OpenSUSE Tumbleweed thread but this will do. I am doing Tumbleweed as my Monthly Distrohoppers OS for September. I installed the XFCE iteration and so far after sorting out a few issues like video codecs everything is working fine. My test Toshiba Z30 is as expected for an older PC fully supported hardware wise so no issues there, although by default it has been configured to do single click for opening things with the mouse/track-pad which I’m not used to but it’s not a deal breaker and I’m getting used to it. I think Tumbleweed would be a good BDLL challenge and have completed the form to suggest it as a contender.

1 Like

I had an email from @EricAdams to say you covered Tumbleweed in February, I missed it when looking and will go take a look at the review you guy’s gave it. When I was on the live show a couple of weeks ago, @BigDaddyLinux asked if I had come across any bad distro in my hopping, and I said so far not, but I was sure it would happen at some time. Well even though I’ve only been on it a couple of days I can say that Tumbleweed goes into the GOOD column, and I’m really starting to like XFCE, with EndeavorOS and this I’ve been hopping with it for 5-6 weeks and am considering making it my default DE for Mint as well. Joe Ressington is always singing the praises of XFCE and I’m starting to understand it’s appeal, it’s lightweight, it does all the things that Mate does, if with a little less pizzazz but it works and doesn’t get in the way of the user.

I’ll let you know how I get on over the next couple of weeks, I will try and join the Euro Edition on the 14th as I’ll be in Brussels that evening so 9pm local time is a bit more civalised than the 1am it was at home when I joined you all a feww weeks ago :grin:

2 Likes

@TonyHughes Not to self plug here but I did write up what I consider the easy way to install codecs that I THINK explains the process well enough.

Feel free to make any critical assessments. I’m all ears… or eyes… something…

2 Likes

@CubicleNate thanks I am just listening to the February show and @BigDaddyLinux did mention your blog so I was going to take a look this saves time finding it. :grin:

1 Like

@CubicleNate well I ran through your tutorial and all the repositories are now installed, even made certain that I used the trust always option as I heard on the show this can be an issue for error messages.

Hopefully as I progress further this will ensure I don’t have any multimedia codec issues. Thanks for the heads up Nate.

1 Like

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. I know a few things here and there.

2 Likes

I wish I could jump into this conversation but I’m with the Debian Cinnamon, not the SUSE Cinnamon.