Casual throw away comment - GhostBSD

For reasons I can’t fathom, this afternoon I downloaded GhostBSD (community edition with Xfce) and burned it to USB. On my old, really old, IBM Thinkpad T60 (3GB RAM, 1024x768 screen, Core 2, 320GB HDD), I used it as a live DVD to try it.

Slow, yes, very slow, chunky looking at that low res. The Xfce was the 4.12.22 (I think) but, as usual, Xfce worked). The terminal used the Fish shell, which confused me a bit as it tried to do too much for me. There was LibreOffice (not the latest I think, but I’ve not use LO for years so I’m not sure what the latest is.

On the whole, having played for about an hour or so, I forgive it the slowness dues to the hardware (which isn’t exactly a speed demon with the installed MX-18), I will say it works. It felt a bit “historic”, I suspect I could use it at a pinch. It did feel just a bit like I was back at work 15 years ago logged into the Sun servers (then it was CDE using Cygwin on my desktop PC for a graphical interface). I’m not sure what the advantages over a Linux would be - security through obscurity if Linux ever comes under attack by malware?

I shalln’t be installing it on hardware… unless someone gives me yet another laptop that’s a bit newer than the T60. With a 60 or 120GB SSD I might consider having a BSD testing machine just for the heck of it and something to play with on rainy days.

2 Likes

@TerryL your adventure reminds me of years ago when I tried to learn NetBSD in the hopes of getting it installed on some specialized Alpha server hardware. I did not get very far. I got a CLI only interface running, but it seems to take days of free time because everything was unfamiliar. I remember one of the first things that I did was learn how to get the bash shell instead of the standard for NetBSD.

I enjoy this YouTube channel just because his desktops are always beautiful and tricked out on the BSD’s, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk9NvmsPBC3lTn_L9kFaylA

I think he like many others that like to run a BSD on the desktop use OpenBSD. I have zero experience, but I could see having a box in the corner for rainy days if I didn’t have so many other things that I want to learn on a regular Linux distro. Keep enjoying your free and opensource OS’s.

This is the UK, and recently we’ve had more than a few rainy days… I’m beginning to thing I need a stack of “rainy day machines”

This post sparked curiosity in me. I’m off to instal a BSD now :wink:

You mad fool you, have fun and good luck