Big Thank You to Rocco and the Big Daddy Linux Community!

Why have I stayed with Linux after using it for about a month. It is not because it is better than Windows 10 or MacOS or that it can do more or different things than those other Operating Systems, it is because of the community. One of the most important things, for me, when I am getting interested about something new is the resources available to learn about this new thing. When I started getting into Linux and needed information I searched the web and found itsfoss. The itsfoss website was a great resource for a newbie like me. I started to get more interested in Linux and wanted to find like minded people to learn from, to do this I searched for podcasts based on Linux. I stumbled across Bid Daddy Linux. I started watching past episodes of BDLL and Linux Spotlight. Linux spotlight really peaked my interest because it was introducing me to the people in the Linux community. Then I did my first live show on BDLL and i was accepted right away and I felt right at home. I have been on many of the shows since and really enjoy my time on them. Rocco, a big heart felt Thank You, for doing both of those shows. I feel it is one of the best resources for new users like me to find to get pulled in to Linux even more. Through those shows I have talked to numerous community members in telegram, discord, zoom, and discourse forums. All of them have been very encouraging and helpful to me during my journey into Linux. For that I am Thankful and Grateful. If it was not for this great community I would not have learned as much as I have nor have had as much fun learning Linux. Again Thank You to Rocco and everyone in the Big Daddy Linux Community for helping me get started on this great journey.

11 Likes

Glad you found your way here Jason.

On the @BigDaddyLinux front. He is very humble and doesn’t like to admit it but everything you said is true! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well said @jasonstarbuck - that is so rewarding to hear, just like saying Thank You to developers a Thank You to the community feels good to hear :smiley:

I whole heartedly agree too @franksmcb :+1:

4 Likes

What a great post! Thanks Jason. You echo my thoughts exactly. I marvel at all the developers, content creators and users alike. Rocco’s truly da man! But everyone in the community certainly contributes their bit. I am very grateful. I :heart: the community!

2 Likes

I’m glad you stuck with it Jason. It isn’t always easy to make changes. I agree the community makes a huge difference and certainly one of the many reasons I enjoy Linux and open source. Rocco does a great service by providing this resource to us all. I wasn’t particularly interested in engaging with other communities but I have certainly found my home.

1 Like

Thank you Jason for the backstory and the very kind words. I have to point out that mentions this “community” and I can’t take credit for that. Each member here makes up the whole community and guys like @Zeb, @EricAdams, @franksmcb, @CubicleNate, @Schykle and a host of others have helped make it the place that it is.

A place where anybody can show up and feel welcomed. You can’t put a price on that. All of you guys are the reason I’m here and for that I truly am grateful.

Jason,
I would like to talk to you on BDLL about this subject on an upcoming show sometime as well.

5 Likes

I think that would make a fantastic second hour highlight!

2 Likes

I’m such an idiot, I knew I was going to forget somebody. @kc2bez you are on that list of people that help out tremendously.

But I agree

2 Likes

Maybe even better as a Spotlight?

3 Likes

That guy is always causing trouble

3 Likes

I’m thinking both!

1 Like

No worries, we’re all in this together.

1 Like