Arch News - `base` group replaced by mandatory `base` package - manual intervention required

I’m not entirely sure what this means in practical terms but seem pretty impactful??

https://www.archlinux.org/news/base-group-replaced-by-mandatory-base-package-manual-intervention-required/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Installation_guide#Changes_for_the_base_package

Seems like no filesystem utilities, no text editors and so on. I mean, I get bare-bones but sheesh. Am I missing the point?

1 Like

And I thought the Gnome team were kings of cutting things out that people need…

Just in the middle of testing this in a vm :wink:
They have removed some pkgs from the base group.

e.g

before when you installed base you would get the latest linux-kernel by default, now because its been removed you get to choose which kernel e.g. linux-lts linux-hardened etc and you don’t end up with all the pkgs that came with the latest linux-kernel, linux-headers etc, same thing with linux-firmware some machines don’t need it and it wont be explicitly installed because it belonged to a group (optional)

basically, you still install base like you did but now you have to add what you need pertinent to your needs, hardware etc…

Its going to make an arch install tutorial more complicated that’s for sure :hot_face:

I’ll add more info as I figure it out :wink:

Originally in the base that got removed:

cryptsetup: Userspace setup tool for transparent encryption of block devices using dm-crypt
device-mapper: Device mapper userspace library and tools
dhcpcd: RFC2131 compliant DHCP client daemon
diffutils: Utility programs used for creating patch files
e2fsprogs: Ext2/3/4 filesystem utilities
inetutils: A collection of common network programs
jfsutils: JFS filesystem utilities
less: A terminal based program for viewing text files
linux: The Linux kernel and modules
linux-firmware: Firmware files for Linux
logrotate: Rotates system logs automatically
lvm2: Logical Volume Manager 2 utilities
man-db: A utility for reading man pages
man-pages: Linux man pages
mdadm: A tool for managing/monitoring Linux md device arrays, also known as Software RAID
nano: Pico editor clone with enhancements
netctl: Profile based systemd network management
perl: A highly capable, feature-rich programming language
reiserfsprogs: Reiserfs utilities
s-nail: Environment for sending and receiving mail
sysfsutils: System Utilities Based on Sysfs
texinfo: GNU documentation system for on-line information and printed output
usbutils: USB Device Utilities
vi: The original ex/vi text editor
which: A utility to show the full path of commands
xfsprogs: XFS filesystem utilities

2 Likes

Just what we need, something to make the arch install harder…Yes!

Looking at the updates that ArcoLinux, EndeavourOS and Manjaro have done testerday I think they have rejigged everything so using Arch their way you are covered… I could be wrong, but I think that is a part of what has gone on.