App Usage Timer

I am looking for an app where I can point it to several other apps, and it would monitor my time in each of those apps, and can give me the total time spent in all those apps combined. I already use scripts to do this, but that’s buggy and unreliable. I would like something that works better.

It would be best if this suppported Ubuntu as a *.deb, but I’ll use snaps and flatpaks too.

Any suggestions?

So I did a bunch of Googling and scoring the repos and found nothing that suites my needs.

So I’m making something much more robust and modular that should do the trick.

I will post a GitHub link to it later here for anyone looking for the something similar.

I don’t know of anything that does this out of the box. I’m not sure if you have tried this yet, but I do know that the ps command gives you the culminated cpu time, which I am (blindly) assuming means time elapsed when a process is running. I’d think you could write a script that calls ps every second, or half a second or so and watches for new programs to appear, and record the time elapsed once a program disappears.

I think the htop program does this already except for reporting statistics to the user. You could download the source code to htop and modify it, or get clues to how to write your program.

I hope this helps somewhat. It sounds like a cool project. If I have time later, maybe I’ll take a crack at it.

So for anyone who wants to check out/help out with it, you can find the app usage timer I am working on here: https://github.com/Batcastle/time-tracker

It’s still under development, but if you see a feature I need to add, please make an issue for it!

@Batcastle this might be a little late to the game, but I was just looking through the Gnome Software center after my F32 update, and saw this app. Have you taken a look at this?

I have not. I’ll see if I can find it. Thanks!

I took a look and cannot find it. Maybe it’s in a PPA?

I think it is a flatpak on flathub